Recently, Josh James, the CEO of Omniture said something similar during the Q&A portion of the company’s Q3 earnings call in response to a question about whether businesses saw web analytics as discretionary:
“Every dollar that a marketer has, I think everyone has in every organization is under pressure right now and certainly marketing spend is where CFOs like to look and see if they can cut. But, what we’ve seen with our customers is their online channels are the ones that are performing the best. Their online channels are the ones that are giving the most direct impact within that quarter that spend is also taking place.
In terms of the way that they think about Omniture, even if they cut let’s say 10% of their marketing spend, they’re going to use us to a) identify the 10% they’re going to cut and b) use us to optimize the other 90% to try to get back up to the same results as they had with the 100% the year before. These kinds of times actually drive usage of our product.
When things are good it’s a lot easier when you want more sales just to throw more money at the top of funnel and to generate more leads and go through the process. When things get bad people try to focus on of everyone that’s already coming to our store, what can we do to keep them more attracted? What can we do to get them to look at other things? What can we do to get them to read additional articles? All of those behaviors drive uses of our product.”
Want to userstand how to measure your customer’s online experience in Web 3.0 land?
Tealeaf enables online businesses to see their customer’s actual online experience to better analyse their motivations and behavior and understand “why” conversions are occurring, or not.
Check out this latest video from Tealeaf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDNeioAIxy0&eurl=http://tealeaf.typepad.com/blog/2008/11/tealeaf-across.html
Filed under: Research, Visualisation | Tags: Flutrends, Google, Google.org
There is a new common symptom of the flu, in addition to the usual aches, coughs, fevers and sore throats. Turns out a lot of ailing Americans enter phrases like “flu symptoms” into Google and other search engines before they call their doctors.
That simple act, multiplied across millions of keyboards in homes around the country, has given rise to a new early warning system for fast-spreading flu outbreaks, called Google Flu Trends.
Tests of the new Web tool from Google.org, the company’s philanthropic unit, suggest that it may be able to detect regional outbreaks of the flu a week to 10 days before they are reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
In early February, for example, the C.D.C. reported that the flu cases had recently spiked in the mid-Atlantic states. But Google says its search data show a spike in queries about flu symptoms two weeks before that report was released. Its new service at google.org/flutrends analyses those searches as they come in, creating graphs and maps of the country that, ideally, will show where the flu is spreading.
Filed under: Data, Optimisation, Research | Tags: Gartner, IT Expo, Peter Sondergaard, Symposium
“The worldwide economic crisis could hasten the arrival of a new trillion-dollar industry focused on data optimisation,” according to Gartner’s Global Head of Research, Peter Sondergaard.
Welcome to our opportunity!